Twitter Facebook Google Plus LinkedIn RSS Feed Email

Monsters We Live Today, Chronicles from Mambusao, Capiz, Philippines

Tuesday, February 4, 2014


Manananggal, an evil monster that eats fetus
with its elongated tongue while inside the mother's womb 

Capiz is a well known province in West Visayas, not only because of things in the world we Filipinos can be proud of like beaches, food, tradition, hospitable people and rich culture but one of the most bizarre things and rumors that are very popular to my fellow countrymen. Yes, I am talking about aswang or monster that never fail to come up whenever we speak of Capiz even in today's cutting edge and fast paced society.

It was Feb 1, 2014. I couldn't believe myself that day that I agreed and traveling alone to Capiz; not for a vacation and definitely not for Aswang. With all the rumors I heard, I just told myself "parang buwis buhay ito" (it's like risking my life). 

Scared of monsters like Manananggal yet driven by a cause to map schools and capture stories in order to spread around the world how difficult it was for the people especially to the teachers and students there to get by after the typhoon, I just found myself shaking my head on my way there. 

Even the signboard of Cala-Agus Elementary School
wasn't spared by the destructive Super Typhoon
I was assigned the to conduct a field visit in Mambusao, Capiz to assess the damages in public elementary and secondary schools for Checkmyschool, a project of ANSA-EAP Foundation that monitors and pursue to solve issues of public schools.

Mambusao, Capiz is a municipality of a province known for aswang but also the home of about 37,672 people with homes, structures and schools devastated by the famous Super Typhoon Haiyan, locally known as typhoon Yolanda here in the Philippines.

When I finally get there, the afternoon was clear and so was I felt for the place. It's welcoming and people were very kind. It's not so difficult to find a place to stay and do the things I came for since I was with Sir Jerry Leonida, the Checkmyschool volunteer/ Area coordinator in Mambusao, Capiz and most of the time I imagine as a real life super hero who has undying dedication to help the people.
Sir Jerry Leonida while cheerfully asking a resident where to find the schools in the village
Eusebio Villareal Memorial School in Mambusao, Capiz

The tragedy from Super Typhoon Haiyan was long over. It was already 4 months when it happened but traces of Haiyan's fatal blows were still visible like it just happened yesterday. There were still no electricity in most towns and of course, internet. I can only be reached sometimes through one mobile telecom. The electrical posts and trees were still leaned towards the road or fell in the rice fields.



A long road I experienced
during school visits
During our school visits, we faced challenges in reaching the schools because most of them are situated in the mountains and several villages are still not yet connected by a decent concrete road. Rough, muddy and dusty roads are common. Most are accessible only through motorcycle but some of the roads to get there are not even paved to be passed safely by a two wheeled vehicle. Whatever the condition of the place may be, it didn't stopped us because we know how important our mission was. We need to let you know the conditions of the schools in Mambusao and to the world.

Mambusao has 32 public schools where all of them were highly affected by the Super Typhoon. Most of the classrooms' roofs were dilapidated and unfit to be use. Also, together with the classrooms, children's chairs, books and teacher's instructional materials were destroyed. With the municipality's condition, if It's hard to know where to start to focus since not only schools were destroyed but also homes of people, rice fields, churches, baranggay (village) halls and private establishments. 
A photo of Mambusao Church while on repair. Scaffolds were
still present inside the church to support the construction


Looking holistically and at the broader scope, for me, it's the losing strings we have as Filipinos and as a nation, losing the hope for change and love for our country especially of those who have power and influence to make a difference, losing those people who were once idealists then resulting to aswangs or monsters we cater like ghosts that we feed; political unrest, poor road access, poverty and all of the things unfavorable for common good. The monsters we live today.

But its not over how dry it may sound because I don't lose hope and faith in you, myself and all of the people who will read this article and stand up and make a difference in his/her own way to help our brothers and sisters of Mambusao after the calamity.

Until now, they need your help. please check my other posts to see the conditions of Mambusao's infastructures. You may reach Sir Jerry Leonida (+639176240220) or Karl Pregon (+639228411990), to facilitate donations or any kind of assistance you want to provide for Mambusao, Capiz.

So, whenever I will be asked "nakakita ka naman ng aswang?" (were you able to see monsters?). I'll say "I hope it's not among us". 

"Be the change you want to see the world" -Ghandi

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © -2012 FILIPINO IDEALIST All Rights Reserved | Template Design by Favorite Blogger Templates | Blogger Tips and Tricks